Cabazon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Riverside County, California, United States. The population was 2,535 during the 2010 Census.
Cabazon was established in the 1870s after the Southern Pacific Railroad built a railroad station. The station was originally named Jacinto, but was renamed Cabezone after a nearby Indian rancheria. Cabezone was a chief of the Cahuilla Indians so named for his large head. A worker’s camp named Hall’s Siding which included a hotel and dance hall was established but eventually abandoned after the railroad relocated. In 1884 a new town was laid out by the Scottish owned Cabazon Land and Water Company which established a fruit farm. Some lots were sold, but later repurchased, and the land stayed intact until it was bought by a developer in 1910. The developer established a school and a post office but there were few residents.
Cabazon was incorporated as a city in 1955. In 1972, after years of scandal, political instability, and stalled growth, the citizens of Cabazon voted to disincorporate the city. Interest in re-incorporating the area has been reported in the 2000s.